Sleep, Performance and Cognition
This cluster focuses on the neural and behavioral processes that regulate sleep, cognitive performance, and the effects of sleep loss on these processes, using both human and non-human animal models. The goal is to understand how sleep, or lack of sleep, can affect broad aspects of health and performance.
Recent research in this area
- Davis, C. J., & Vanderheyden, W.M. (2020) Optogenetic sleep enhancement improves fear-associated memory processing following trauma exposure in rats. Scientific Reports In Press
- Bushana, P., Koberstein, J. N., Nguyen, T., Harvey, D. O., & Davis, C. J. (2020) Performance on the Mouse Vibration Actuating Search Task (VAST) is compromised by Sleep Deprivation. Journal of Neurophysiology 123, 600-608 PMID: 31891527 PMCID: PMC7052632
- Davis, C. J., Zielinski, M. R., Dunbrasky, D., Taishi, P., Dinarello, C. A., & Krueger, J. M. (2017) Interleukin 37 expression in mice alters sleep responses to inflammatory agents and influenza virus infection. Neurobiology of Sleep and Circadian Rhythms 3, 1-9 PMID: 28070566 PMCID: PMC5218600
- Krueger JM, Roy S (2015). Sleep's Kernel: Surprisingly small sections of brain, and even neuronal and glial networks in a dish, display many electrical indicators of sleep. Scientist. 2016 Mar;30(3). pii: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/45394/title/Sleep-s-Kernel/. Epub 2016 Mar 1. PMID: 27695161
- Whitney, P.M., Hinson, J.M., Jackson, M., & Van Dongen, H . Feedback blunting: Total sleep deprivation impairs decision making that requires updating based on feedback. Sleep, 38:5, 745-754. (e-pub ahead of print). PMCID: PMC4402662
- Tucker, A. M., Whitney, P., Belenky, G, Hinson, J. M., & Van Dongen, H. P. A., (2010). Effects of sleep deprivation on dissociated components of executive functioning. Sleep, 33, 1-11. PMCID PMC2802247
- Gronli J, Rempe MJ, Clegern WC, Schmidt M, Wisor JP (2016). Beta EEG reflects sensory processing in active wakefulness and homeostatic sleep drive in quiet wakefulness. J Sleep Res. 2016 Jun;25(3):257-68. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12380. Epub 2016 Jan 30. PMID: 26825702
- Oonk M, Krueger JM, Davis CJ (2016). Voluntary Sleep Loss in Rats. Sleep. 39(7):1467-79. doi: 10.5665/sleep.5984. PMCID: PMC4909628 [Available on 2017-01-01]
- Phillips DP, Savenkova M, Karatsoreos IN (2015) Environmental disruption of the circadian clock leads to altered sleep and immune responses in mouse. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity. Jul;47:14-23. PMID: 25542734.