Bryan K. Slinker
Room: Bustad 110
Dr. Slinker received his B.S. in Zoology from the College of Idaho in 1976, and his D.V.M. and Ph.D. degrees from Washington State University in 1980 and 1982, respectively (Go Cougs!). He was a postdoctoral fellow at the Cardiovascular Research Institute of the University of California, San Francisco from 1982-1986 and then served as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine (Cardiology Unit) at the University of Vermont from 1986-1992.
In 1992 he returned to WSU as an Associate Professor in the Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Physiology (now the Department of Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience). He was the chair of that department from 1999-2008 before taking the position as dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine from 2009-2019. Dr. Slinker will finish out his career at WSU as interim provost and will retire in June 2020.
He has served on the Board of Directors (including President Elect) of the American Heart Association's Vermont Affiliate and on the Research Committee of the former Pacific Mountain Affiliate (and former Washington Affiliate). He also served on the board of directors of the Washington State University Research Foundation. He currently serves on the board of directors of the Woodland Park Zoo.
Over the years he has taught applied biomedical statistics, bioethics (including animal welfare/animal rights), responsible conduct of research, physiology, pharmacology, and developmental anatomy.
Dr. Slinker's research focused on heart and cardiac muscle function and adaptation. In addition to his research publications in journals such as The American Journal of Physiology, Circulation, Circulation Research, and Cardiovascular Research, he has co-authored several biomedical statistics tutorials for scientific journals as well as an textbook of intermediate biomedical statistics.
- Campbell KB, Razumova MV, Kirkpatrick RD, Slinker BK (2001) Nonlinear myofilament regulatory processes affect frequency-dependent muscle fiber stiffness Biophys J 81(4), 2278-96 PMID: 11566798 PMCID: PMC1301699
- Glantz SA, Slinker BK (2000) Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance McGraw-Hill 2nd Ed. PMID: PMCID:
- Slinker BK (1998) The statistics of synergism J Mol Cell Cardiol 30, 723-731 PMID: PMCID:
- Yang Q, Hanesworth JM, Harding JW, Slinker BK (1997) The AT4 receptor agonist [Nle1] - Angiotensin IV reduces mechanically induced immediate-early gene expression in the isolated rabbit heart Regul Pept 71(3), 175-83 PMID: 9350976 PMCID:
- Campbell KB, Wu Y, Simpson AM, Kirkpatrick RD, Shroff SG, Granzier HL, Slinker BK (2005) Dynamic myocardial contractile parameters from left ventricular pressure-volume measurements Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289(1), H114-30 PMID: 15961371 PMCID:
- Campbell KB, Chandra M, Kirkpatrick RD, Slinker BK, Hunter WC (2004) Interpreting cardiac muscle force-length dynamics using a novel functional model. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286(4), H1535-45 PMID: 15020307 PMCID: