Current PositionResearch Associate Professor, Washington State University, retired
EducationUniversity of Houston, Biophysical Sciences, 1969
University of California, Irvine, Ph.D, Biological Sciences (Psychobiology), 1973
University of Wisconsin-School of medicine-Postdoc-1973-1979
I am a retired Associate Professor of IPN working part-time to assist Dr. Barbara Sorg with investigating the intensity of perineuronal nets around GABAergic neurons in the prefrontal cortex of the rat or mouse brain under various stressful conditions.
I have worked in the area of drug abuse on NIH-funded projects with Dr. P. Kalivas for approximately 14 years and with Dr. Sorg with WSADA-funded projects for 4 years and in sleep research on NIH-funded projects with Dr. J. Krueger for 10 years. My latest manuscript is "removal of perineuronal nets in the medial prefrontal cortex impairs the acquisition and reconsolidation of a cocaine-induced conditioned place preference memory."
- Slaker M, Churchill L, Todd RP, Blacktop JM, Zuloaga DG, Raber J, Darling RA, Brown TE, Sorg BA (2015) Removal of perineuronal nets in the medial prefrontal cortex impairs the acquisition and reconsolidation of a cocaine-induced conditioned place preference memory J Neurosci 35(10), 4190-202 PMID: 25762666 PMCID: PMC4355195
- Sorg BA, Todd RP, Slaker M, Churchill L (2015) Anisomycin in the medial prefrontal cortex reduces reconsolidation of cocaine-associated memories in the rat self-administration model Neuropharmacology 92, 25-33 PMID: 25576371 PMCID: PMC4346388
- Hallett H, Churchill L, De A, Taishi P, Krueger JM (2010) Whisker stimulation increases expression of nerve growth factor and interleukin-1-immunoreactivity in the rat somatosensory cortex Brain Res 1333, 48-56
- (2008) Tumor necrosis factor alpha: activity dependent expression and promotion of cortical column sleep in rats Neuroscience 156(1), 71-80 PMID: 18694809 PMCID: PMC2654198
- Brandt JA, Churchill L, Guan Z, Fang J, Krueger JM (2001) Sleep deprivation, but not a whisker trim, increases nerve growth factor within barrel cortical neurons Brain Res 898, 105-112
- Churchill L, Kalivas PW (2000) Involvement of the mediodorsal nucleus of the thalamus and midbrain extra-pyramidal area in locomotion elicited from the ventral pallidum Behav Brain Res 104: 63-71
- Churchill L, Swanson CJ, Urbina M, Kalivas PW (1999) Repeated cocaine alters glutamate receptor subunits in the nucleus accumbens and ventral tegmental area of rats that develop behavioral sensitization J Neurochem 72(6), 2397-403 PMID: 10349849
- (1991) Specificity in the projection patterns of accumbal core and shell in the rat Neuroscience 41(1), 89-125 PMID: 2057066
- Churchill L, Cotman C, Banker G, Kelly P, Shannon L (1976) Carbohydrate composition of central nervous system synapses. Analysis of isolated synaptic junctional complexes and post-synaptic densities Biochim Biophys Acta 448, 57-72
- Cotman CW, Banker G, Churchill L, Taylor D. (1974) Isolation of postsynaptic densities from rat brain J Cell Biol 63(2 Pt 1), 441-55 PMID: 4138148 PMCID: PMC2110949