- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy at the University of New Mexico (1986)
- DVM Colorado State University (1990)
- PhD Texas A&M University (1998)
- Small Animal Internship University of Minnesota (1991)
- Small Animal Internal Medicine Residency, Texas A&M University
- Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Residency, Texas A&M University
The driving force behind the research in my laboratory is the desire to prevent adverse drug reactions in veterinary patients. Adverse drug reactions increase not only patient morbidity and mortality, but add to the overall cost of veterinary care and to the emotional burden of the animal owner. Our research in veterinary pharmacogenetics has generated discoveries that truly are “bench to bedside” and are used globally to prevent adverse drug reactions in dogs (and is under development for cats). My laboratory is an integral part of the Washington State University Program in Individualized Medicine (PrIMe). WSU PrIMe researchers optimize drug therapy for individual patients and its faculty share their expertise via education and outreach activities for veterinarians, breeders and the pet-owning public.
- Mealey KL, Bentjen SA, Gay JM, Cantor GH. (2001) Ivermectin sensitivity in collies is associated with a deletion mutation of the mdr1 gene. Pharmacogenetics. Pharmacogenetics.
- Mealey KL, Northrup NC, Bentjen SA. (2003) Increased toxicity of P-glycoprotein-substrate chemotherapeutic agents in a dog with the MDR1 deletion mutation associated with ivermectin sensitivity. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 15;223(10):1453-5, 1434.
- Neff MW, Robertson KR, Wong AK, Safra N, Broman KW, Slatkin M, Mealey KL, Pedersen NC. (2004) Breed distribution and history of canine mdr1-1Delta, a pharmacogenetic mutation that marks the emergence of breeds from the collie lineage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 10;101(32):11725-30. Epub 2004 Aug 2.
- Mealey KL, Munyard KA, Bentjen SA. (2005) Frequency of the mutant MDR1 allele associated with multidrug sensitivity in a sample of herding breed dogs living in Australia. Vet Parasitol. 10;131(3-4):193-6.
- Mealey KL, Fidel J. (2015) P-glycoprotein-mediated drug interactions in oncology patients. J Vet Int Med 29(1):1-6.
- Meurs KM, Stern JA, Reina-Doreste Y, Maran BA, Chdid L, Lahmers S, Keene BW, Mealey KL. (2015) Impact of the canine double-deletion b1 adrenoreceptor polymorphisms on protein structure and heart rate response to atenolol, a b1-selective b-blocker. Pharmacogenet Genomics 25(9):427-31.
- Mealey KL, Burke NS. (2015) Identification of a nonsense mutation in feline ABCB1. J Vet Pharm Ther 38(5):429-33.
- Lewis RS, Fidel J, Dassanayake S, Court MH, Burke NS, Mealey KL. (2015) Comparison of chemotherapeutic drug resistance in cells transfected with canine ABCG2 or feline ABCG2. Vet Comp Oncol Epub Oct 2015.
- Costa A, Sellon RK, Court MH, Burke NS, Mealey KL. (2016) Polymorphisms in the canine glucocorticoid receptor alpha gene (NR3C1a) J Vet Pharm Ther 39(1):16-21.
- Mealey KL. (2016) MDR1 gene mutations & drug therapy. Clinicians Brief (online cliniciansbrief.com)
- Deshpande D, Hill KE, Mealey KL, Chambers JP, Gieseg MA. (2016) The effect of the canine ABCB1-1D mutation on sedation after intravenous administration of acepromazine. J Vet Int Med epub.
- Mealey KL. (2016) How should I treat dogs and cats with MDR1 mutations? Therapeutics Briefs 3:12-23.