Bryan K. Slinker
Room: Bustad 110
Dr. Slinker received his B.S. in Zoology from the College of Idaho in 1976, and his D.V.M. and Ph.D. degrees from Washington State University in 1980 and 1982, respectively (Go Cougs!). He was a postdoctoral fellow at the Cardiovascular Research Institute of the University of California, San Francisco from 1982-1986.
He then served as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine (Cardiology Unit) at the University of Vermont from 1986-1992 before returning to Washington State University in 1992 as an Associate Professor in the Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Physiology. Before taking the position as Dean of the College in 2008, he served as Chair of the Department of Veterinary and Comparative Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Physiology from 1999 - 2008.
He has served on the Board of Directors (including President Elect) of the American Heart Association's Vermont Affiliate and on the Research Committee of the former Pacific Mountain Affiliate (and former Washington Affiliate). He also served on the board of directors of the Washington State University Research Foundation. He currently serves on the board of directors of the Woodland Park Zoo.
Over the years he has taught applied biomedical statistics, bioethics (including animal welfare/animal rights), responsible conduct of research, physiology, pharmacology, and developmental anatomy.
Dr. Slinker's research focused on heart and cardiac muscle function and adaptation. In addition to his research publications in journals such as The American Journal of Physiology, Circulation, Circulation Research, and Cardiovascular Research, he has co-authored several biomedical statistics tutorials for scientific journals as well as an textbook of intermediate biomedical statistics.
- Campbell KB, Wu Y, Simpson AM, Kirkpatrick RD, Shroff SG, Granzier HL, Slinker BK (2005) Dynamic myocardial contractile parameters from left ventricular pressure-volume measurements Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289(1), H114-30 PMID: 15961371
- Campbell KB, Chandra M, Kirkpatrick RD, Slinker BK, Hunter WC (2004) Interpreting cardiac muscle force-length dynamics using a novel functional model Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286(4), H1535-45 PMID: 15020307
- Campbell KB, Razumova MV, Kirkpatrick RD, Slinker BK (2001) Nonlinear myofilament regulatory processes affect frequency-dependent muscle fiber stiffness Biophys J 81(4), 2278-96 PMID: 11566798 PMCID: PMC1301699
- Glantz SA, Slinker BK (2000) Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance McGraw-Hill 2nd Ed.
- Slinker BK (1998) The statistics of synergism J Mol Cell Cardiol 30, 723-731
- Yang Q, Hanesworth JM, Harding JW, Slinker BK (1997) The AT4 receptor agonist [Nle1] - Angiotensin IV reduces mechanically induced immediate-early gene expression in the isolated rabbit heart Regul Pept 71(3), 175-83 PMID: 9350976